[LTER-luq] Looking for LUQ researcher to mentor high school teacher

Noelia Baez Rodriguez nbaez at ites.upr.edu
Tue Nov 3 08:00:59 MST 2015

Dear Colleagues,

We are seeking LTER scientists who would be willing to mentor a high school
teacher to support your research as part of the Research Experiences for
Teachers program (RET). Let me know if you are interested and 1) will be
conducting research at El Verde (or in the LEF) next summer, and 2) could
use some help in the field and/or with analysis. This experience can be
mutually beneficial to all parties involved, and could represent a great
chance to seek out answers to some of the drought effect questions. Chris
Bloch, Jorge Ortiz and Jean Lodge have previously mentored teachers.

The deadline for proposals is Dec. 1st, so let us know by Friday, Nov 13.
All we will need by Dec 1 is a brief summary of your research agenda next
summer and how a teacher could be of assistance. The Luquillo LTER
Schoolyard team is highly interested in obtaining these kinds of
opportunities for our high school collaborators. Through these programs we
can elevate the scientific content of their teaching methods, and offer
them unique experience-based opportunities for working with real
scientists. We have learned from previous experience that the best way of
getting the full attention and commitment of teachers and students is by
having them work for a full summer at El Verde Field Station, where they
can become completely immersed in all the aspects of a research project.

Thanks for your support!

Noelia
--
Noelia Báez Rodríguez