[LTER-luq-students] Luquillo-LTER Grad Students: Moving forward

Omar GutiƩrrez del Arroyo Santiago omar.gutierrezdela at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 12:08:11 MST 2016

Hi all,

During last week's Luq-LTER meeting, we were challenged as a graduate
student community to become more engaged in implementing the proposed
research that was recently funded as part of the LTER5b proposal.
Considering the short turnaround for the next proposal, as well as the site
review that will occur early in 2017, the PIs emphasized the importance of
explicitly linking our (ongoing and future) research with the hypotheses
detailed in the funded proposal. This would be useful at least in two ways,
as it assures we'll have ongoing research to show reviewers during the site
visit, while also putting us in a better position to develop the new
proposal building on the gained insights obtained from our ongoing and
soon-to-begin research efforts.

As a first step, a potential avenue to facilitate these goals would be to
regularly invite grad students to give short presentations during the
Luq-LTER monthly meetings. With one-hour available for presentations,
several grad students could discuss either recent results or proposed
research that directly relates with one of the eight hypotheses in the
proposal, and receive valuable feedback from the PIs.

*With this in mind, the main purpose of this email is to ask if any of you
would be interested in presenting at the next Luq-LTER monthly meeting on
February 23 at 2 pm EST.* Please let me know if you're interested, or if
you have any other ideas to promote a more cohesive Luq-LTER grad student
community.

Cheers,
Omar (Luq-LTER Grad Student Representative)

--
Omar GutiƩrrez del Arroyo Santiago, M.Sc.
NSF Graduate Research Fellow, Berkeley Fellow
omar.gutierrezdela at gmail.com
omarbiogeochem.weebly.com