[LTER-luq-pi] Bisley

McDowell, Bill Bill.McDowell at unh.edu
Sat Sep 16 04:44:00 PDT 2017

Hi Grizelle.  Thanks. This is very helpful.  We are anxious to get in and sample streams as soon as possible, as we are seeing a NO3 decline in Sonadora, with our in situ real-time sensor.  Similar to what we saw after Hugo for about a month in the weekly samples, but did not capture after Georges.  It would be very exciting to capture it more widely in the LEF, at all our Tuesday weekly sampling sites.  I would then expect the dip to be followed by months of elevated concentrations (or a decade or so in Icacos).  My working hypothesis is that the debris in the stream channel provides the dip in NO3 due to microbial immobilization of N during the first days and weeks of decomposition after entry of hurricane debris into the stream.  The pulse a few months later in stream chemistry is the watershed response to reduced plant uptake of NO3 and longer-term decomposition of the added debris on the forest floor (as we have already seen in the CTE). The dip in NO3 would not be seen, of course, if another storm comes and washes all the hurricane debris down the mountain and into the sea.

Would it be possible for IITF to help us out with getting access to stream sites as soon as possible for stream sampling? CZO staff could tag along for sampling, or whatever you think might be appropriate. I know you have a lot on your plate right now, and I understand if this is something you can't deal with!  I also might be able to send down some folks from UNH for a week or so to help with cleanup efforts and assessment of litterfall, tree damage, or whatever else would be helpful.  Please just let me know. Thanks. Bill

William H. McDowell
Professor of Environmental Science and Presidential Chair
Department of Natural Resources and the Environment, University of New Hampshire
Director, NH Water Resources Research Center (http://wrrc.unh.edu/)
(603) 862-2249 bill.mcdowell at unh.edu<mailto:bill.mcdowell at unh.edu>