[LTER-lno] Fwd: [NCEAS News] NEWS from NCEAS -- Awarded new Communication Office for LTER

John Vande Castle jvc at LTERnet.edu
Wed Aug 5 12:53:26 MDT 2015

Yes, I left out the fact that they copied VERBATIM content from the LTER
webpage to use in their "Innovative" announcement even though it
contains a clear copyright:
© Copyright 2013 LTER. MSC03 2020, 1 University of New Mexico,
Albuquerque, NM, USA 87131.

This might become less clear once they become the "FIRST" LNCO, but at
this point they COULD HAVE AT LEAST ASKED to use it verbatim.  Not doing
that is just plagiarism  (not like anybody here is going to call them on
it):

https://www.nceas.ucsb.edu/news/nceas-new-communications-office-lter-network

At least they used the outdated MAP.  I could have sent them a more
recent version if they would have ASKED - or they could have made an NEW
one up themselves.

But that is the NCEAS mission, isn't it? - To "re-purpose" the effort of
others and claim it as their own, or at least make sure they are
included as authors on publications - for providing meeting space.

Am I bitter?  YOU BETCHA !  Do I care?  Heck (would have use a more
proper word, but this is an email...) NO !

  -jvc