[LTER-investigators] presentations for AGU and AAG meetings

Robert Pontius rpontius at clarku.edu
Sun Jun 30 09:19:04 PDT 2019

Dear LTER Colleagues,
Please contact me at rpontius at clarku.edu<mailto:rpontius at clarku.edu> if you would like to present your research at in either of the two sessions that I am organizing at the 2019 meeting of the American Geophysical Union (AGU) https://www2.agu.org/fall-meeting or the one session I am organizing at the 2020 meeting of the American Association of Geographers (AAG) https://annualmeeting.aag.org/. Deadline for AGU abstract submission is 31 July 2019. I welcome especially research that you have recently published. Descriptions of the sessions are below.
Error Assessment Methods in Land Change Science: This AGU session explores frontiers in methods of error assessment, particularly in Land Change Science. Error assessment compares predictions to reference information. Conventions exist in various sub-fields, such as Remote Sensing and Simulation Modeling. Some conventions apply inappropriate metrics or poorly structured sampling designs. Other conventions have yet to address features in new data formats, such as object-oriented image analysis. New methods are now possible given new technologies, such as Virtual Globes and interfaces that allow volunteered information. This session focuses on methods to address existing challenges and to establish future practices.
Coastal Change Measurement: This AGU session explores methods to characterize temporal change in coastal regions. Existing methods of measuring shoreline change include the Baseline & Transect method, which attempts to measure the shoreline movement; however, subjective decisions concerning how to draw the Baseline & Transects influence the results. A Polygon Overlay method measures shoreline change in terms of areas that transition between land and water. Remote sensing technologies are available, but such methods face many challenges, such as the tides and season. Geomorphological theory can predict trends, but rarely specifics.  This session focuses on empirical methods and theory to address existing challenges and to establish future practices.
Quantitative Methods in Land Change Science or Measurements of error and temporal change in GIS: This AAG session will concern the topic in the session's title, which I have not yet decided. The session will depend on who shows interest. Please write to me as soon as possible with your ideas and potential contributions.

All the Best,
Robert Gilmore Pontius Jr
PhD and Professor
Graduate School of Geography, Clark University
950 Main Street, Worcester MA 01610, USA
EMAIL rpontius at clarku.edu<mailto:rpontius at clarku.edu>
WEB www.clarku.edu/~rpontius<http://www.clarku.edu/~rpontius>
VIDEOS https://vimeo.com/album/5059982