[LTER-imc-ddms] Types of Projects & Products

Wade Sheldon sheldon at uga.edu
Sun Jul 5 12:18:07 MDT 2015

John, Inigo and all,

I'm still playing catch-up as I emerge from the post-site-review fog, but I wanted to add one small point to the current discussion about salary vs sub-contract. Another useful model for site IM compensation in a distributed IM system is the sales & service contract approach that we recently adopted at GCE. We just had to apply for permission from our office of sponsored programs, and now we (GCE) can enter into direct contracts with outside entities to provide IM-related services with no overhead other than fringe benefits on salaries.

This is proving to be a very cost-effective approach for resourcing short-term leveraged projects, like 1-2 mo/yr for 2-3 years, very much in line with some of the specialized tasks we're envisioning IMs could handle on behalf of the network like maintaining and improving specific software or CI. This would also provide the project manager and fiscal entity with the needed flexibility to adjust tasks and associated resources on a year-to-year basis in response to new directives and priorities.

So there are at least 3 models to consider based on the amount and priority of work:

subcontract with home institution
service contract with home institution
consulting contract/honorarium direct to IM

I'll try to contribute to the remainder of the conversation early this week.

Regards,

Wade