[LTER-im] HyMet project (VWC followup)

Gregory Maurer gmaurer at nmsu.edu
Tue Sep 7 09:36:05 PDT 2021

Hello IMs!

I hope your September is off to a great start. We're about a week away from the IMC Annual meeting and our HyMet project workshop. Accordingly, I'm writing refresh your memories about our ODM CSV conversion project and offer words of encouragement.

I recently converted a small handful of meteorology variables (only 3!) from a Jornada LTER weather station to ODM CSV format, and I can tell you that it was NOT a horribly painful experience! In fact, I'm a noob, and it only took a couple hours to get familiar with the new format, create my ODM tables, and write a little script to convert the data. It should go quite fast if I ever do this again, and the process gave me new insight into my site's met data that will be useful in the future.

So, we encourage you to carve out a little time for this before our annual meeting next Monday. We all realize this is a big ask, but we're also expecting it to pay dividends for sites by giving them an interoperable format for hydro/met data and by enabling participation in LTER cross-site and synthesis research. Don't forget to put your questions in the spreadsheet<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ejUwckKBi_-EGRWhSlAfALCnZzv9XuK19eAfdlPCe3Y/edit?usp=sharing> as they come up.

See the prior email for a reminder of other resources you need, and don't hesitate to reach out to us (gmaurer at nmsu.edu, whiteaker at utexas.edu, info at environmentaldatainitiative.org) with any questions.

Thanks!

Greg (on behalf of the HyMet working group)