[LTER-im] May 10th VWC: Tracking Data Citations

Renée F. Brown rfbrown at unm.edu
Wed May 12 13:46:17 PDT 2021

Hi all,

Thank you again to our speakers Matt, Jeanette, and Mark for their
presentations on tracking data citations at the May VWC, and thanks to
everyone who was able to attend and participate in the discussion. I also
wanted to thank Daniella Lowenberg (Director, Make Data Count initiative)
for joining us and providing additional perspectives on this important
topic.

Following up, I have included several resources and a few ways to continue
the discussion. Also, a reminder that IMC is welcomed to participate
in the further
development of Scythe
<https://github.com/DataONEorg/scythe/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md>.

   - As always, the VWC recording and notes
   <https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1P2MJnFkLAoJV2CgLnbOCYNHajOgLnxmu?usp=sharing>
   can be found within the VWC folder in the shared IMC Google Drive. If you
   need access, please let me know.

   - Slides for each presentation have been archived in Zenodo and are
   available for viewing/download:
      - Jones, Matthew B., & Clark, S. Jeanette. (2021, May). Sharpening
      our tools for data citation across DataONE. Zenodo.
      http://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.4747722
      - Servilla, Mark. (2021, May). A Day in the Life: EDI Data Citations.
      Zenodo. http://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.4749376

   - Matt has invited us to continue the discussion on the DataONE slack (
   https://slack.dataone.org) or the LTER IM slack channel.

   - Mark has offered to initiate and lead a working group focused around
   efforts / needs / improvements in this realm, particularly from the
   EDI-LTER perspective. Expect more information on this soon.

Finally, a list of additional reading materials (compiled from various
sources):

   - Lowenberg, Daniella, Lammey, Rachael, Jones, Matthew B, Chodacki,
   John, & Fenner, Martin. (2021, April 19). Data Citation: Let's Choose
   Adoption Over Perfection. Zenodo. http://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.4701079
   - Lowenberg, Daniella. (2021, April). Data Citation: Prioritizing
   Adoption. Zenodo. http://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.4726087
   - Brown, Renée F. (2021). The Importance of Data Citation. BioScience
   71(3): 211. https://doi.org/10.1093/biosci/biab012

On behalf of LTER IM Exec,
Renée

--
*Renée F. Brown* (*she/her*)
*Information Manager, McMurdo Dry Valleys LTER*
rfbrown at unm.edu