[LTER-im] [LTER-lpi] REMINDER: Request for comments on proposed LTER Data Use Agreement

Michael Gooseff michael.gooseff at colorado.edu
Mon Mar 1 22:46:41 PST 2021

Hi Marty et al.,

I am not sure when our next opportunity is to discuss this as a group but it is my opinion that all of us commenting on this document is not necessarily going to lead to the same outcome as if we were able to talk this through as a group.  To post a site’s position, one does not necessarily have to read all of the other arguments, and as the first commentor, for example, I have not gone back to read everyone else’s (admittedly, my shortcoming of time).  I can’t shake the feeling that these comments are going to be translated into ‘votes’ for one direction or another.  I realize this will only be a ‘recommendation’, but it’s an important decision that we should not take lightly, and in general, I agree that it’s helpful if all sites in the network adopt a common approach.

In lieu of conversation, I have revised our MCM stance (with input attributed to our IM and coPI in charge of IM – see, attribution seems important here, no?) in the document in an effort to try to persuade others of our steadfast belief that our data generators (students! postdocs!) need to be attributed if someone is going to use the data they generated.

Best,
Mike