[LTER-im] January 11th VWC: Fostering Connections in the IMC

Renee F. Brown rfbrown at unm.edu
Thu Jan 7 13:06:27 PST 2021

Greetings IMC,

Our next monthly Virtual Water Cooler (VWC) is just around the corner, this coming Monday, January 11th @ 12p PT / 3p ET. This month we are keeping it light and trying something new to start off 2021. During our 2020 Annual IMC Meeting, a number of you indicated a desire to have more informal gatherings to foster and improve interaction in our community, particularly during this time when we cannot connect in person and probably won't have the opportunity to do so again for a while.

So, this month, we’ll be holding a virtual coffee hour, comprised of short, small breakout sessions, for us to pop in and say hi and get to know each other a little better. Each session will have one or more prompts to facilitate conversation, such as:

- What software do you find most useful in conducting your work as an IM?
- Provide an interesting fact about your site.
- What are your New Years resolutions?
- What topics should this year’s IMKE sessions focus on? (IMKE = IM Knowledge Exchange)
- What is the most interesting and/or unique way data are collected at your site?
- What is your #1 productivity tip?
- What skill(s) do you have that would be useful for other IMs to know about?
- etc.

If you have ideas for other interesting or fun conversation starters or things you’d like to know from your fellow IMs, please send them my way so I can add them to the list. Doesn’t have to be IM-specific.

Also, send me your good news and updates (e.g., site-specific, LTER Network Office, EDI) so I can include these in the opening announcements! It would be great for all of us to hear more about all of the good things happening across the Network.

January VWC Connection Info: