[LTER-im] LTER LDAP to EDI LDAP transition plan...

Mark Servilla mark.servilla at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 20:19:46 PDT 2020

Dear IM,

On 31 August, I sent an email (below) outlining a plan to transition user
accounts from the LTER LDAP to the EDI LDAP in preparation for the
decommissioning of the LTER LDAP. This transition was scheduled for the end
of September, which is now upon us. As of today we have identified and
migrated LTER LDAP user accounts for all recorded interactions within
PASTA+ to the EDI LDAP. On Wednesday evening 30 September during our weekly
maintenance window, we will complete this transition by performing the
following tasks:

1. We will remove all options to select LTER as an affiliation from the EDI
Data Portal login web page and the ezEML login web page. This will make all
LDAP-based logins that are performed through the EDI Data Portal or ezEML
authenticate strictly to the EDI LDAP. You will only need to provide your
user id and password as you did before, no further action on your part will
be necessary.

2. We will remove the LTER LDAP from the set of accepted LDAP servers in
all PASTA+ and authentication service (auth.edirepository.org) API calls.
If you or your site utilizes the PASTA+ or authentication service API
directly and rely on authenticated sessions, you will need to replace your
LTER LDAP distinguished name with your EDI LDAP distinguished name (for
example, “uid=mservilla,o=LTER,dc=ecoinformatics,dc=org” will change to
“uid=mservilla,o=EDI,dc=edirepository,dc=org”) - your password will remain
the same.

3. We will modify all PASTA+ database entries that contain the LTER LDAP
distinguished name substring "o=LTER,dc=ecoinformatics,dc=org" by replacing
them with the EDI LDAP distinguished name substring
"o=EDI,dc=edirepository,dc=org". This will allow you to update data
packages with your new EDI LDAP credentials that were previously uploaded
with your LTER LDAP credentials or contains an access rule with an LTER
LDAP distinguished name in the "principal" element.

We ask of you the following:

1. When creating access rules in your EML (after our Wednesday evening
maintenance window) for both new data packages and revisions, do not use
LTER LDAP distinguished names in the "principal" element; rather, use your
new EDI LDAP distinguished name (see #2 above). This change also applies to
site accounts that use the canonical three letter acronyms (e.g., CAP). We
recognize that muscle memory will likely result in some mishaps when
generating your EML access rules - not to worry, we can (and will) perform
the database modification (see #3 above) multiple times if necessary.

To recap, after our Wednesday evening maintenance window, the transition
from using the LTER LDAP to the EDI LDAP for authentication and
authorization purposes on all EDI services will be complete and LTER LDAP
credentials will no longer be accepted.

Please contact us immediately if you have any questions or concerns. Thank
you!

Sincerely,
Mark

---