[LTER-im] Articles for Databits

An T. Nguyen enthusiast at utexas.edu
Wed Oct 14 14:56:11 PDT 2020

Dear Environmental Informatician,

"Databits" is the newsletter for environmental information management (see past
issues here <https://lternet.edu/?taxonomy=document-types&term=databits>).
It provides an opportunity to exchange information with your colleagues in
a friendly, less formal context than scientific publications.

Databits is transitioning to an exciting new format, with articles
appearing on-the-fly in blog form, then subsequently being compiled
archived as an issue.

*We are requesting articles for the upcoming issue*. We would welcome
contributions in all areas of environmental information management, in any
format, such as feature articles, reviews, and op-eds/commentaries. But we
are open to anything you think would be of interest to your colleagues in
the environmental information management community. We would particularly
appreciate articles addressing the following areas:

Developments, challenges, solutions in:

- Adopting cloud services (IM in the cloud)

- Metadata generation tools

Outreach and collaboration efforts:

- Diversity, Inclusion, and Equity efforts in the IM community

- Science synthesis and integration

- with others in the wider ecological IM community

As well as other topics of regular interest:

- History of information management

- Future of information management, anticipated challenges and solutions

- Interesting figures, statistics, and reviews of publications and
technologies pertaining to IM work

We would also appreciate tips on other potential contributors who might be
uniquely suited to writing on a certain topic (for example, you might not
feel qualified to write an article on a topic, but you know someone who
could).

Articles can be submitted as Google Docs, Word or LaTeX documents by
emailing them (or a link to them) to: jporter at virginia.edu (John) and
enthusiast at utexas.edu (An). Articles are preferably between 500-1000 words
(1-2 typed pages) but can be shorter (or longer) if appropriate. We will
not be specifying a specific due-date, but anyone interested in writing an
article is requested to email the editors with a tentative title and
expected completion date.

Thanks for your help and contributions. We look forward to hearing from you!

-John Porter & An T. Nguyen