[LTER-im] LTER response to RFC on Desirable Characteristics for Data Repositories

Dan Bahauddin danbaha at umn.edu
Tue Mar 10 14:33:44 PDT 2020

Hello IMC,

As mentioned in an earlier email, the multi-agency Subcommittee on Open
Science of the National Science and Technology Council’s Committee on
Science is seeking comment from individuals and institutions on desirable
characteristics for data repositories. LINK TO RFC
<https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2020/01/17/2020-00689/request-for-public-comment-on-draft-desirable-characteristics-of-repositories-for-managing-and>

<https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2020/01/17/2020-00689/request-for-public-comment-on-draft-desirable-characteristics-of-repositories-for-managing-and>.
The original deadline left little time to craft a response from the IMC.
That deadline has been extended to March 17, giving us a brief window to
act.  LTER IM has been actively considering and engaging with these issues
for many years now.  A letter from LTER would allow us to share our
experience.

IMexec has started a response letter to the linked RFC.  Our window of time
for this is still very narrow, and we will need EB approval before
submitting our response.  As such, we are asking for comments from IM's no
later than noon PDT on Thursday, March 12.

Please add your comments to this document
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1NHV6Ke5m3vy5ssQ9sLffAgjY6u4rsz4ENNIAErBrDL0/edit>.
At this time, don't worry about formatting.  Just identify the the section
of the RFC you are responding to.  IMexec will organize and format prior to
submission to the EB.

Dan Bahauddin*Information Manager

Cedar Creek Ecosystem Science Reserve
2660 Fawn Lake Dr. NE