[LTER-im] How do you prepare for site reviews?

Sarah Elmendorf sarah.elmendorf at colorado.edu
Thu Jan 23 13:27:01 PST 2020

Hi!
Our review went a bit differently than I had expected. I do not know if this was specific to the team or this is a more general shift in LTER review policy, but for NWT we were not allowed to have any separate discussions with the IM review person. I was anticipating them wanting to poke around the nuts and bolts more, but we stayed pretty high-level because all the material/discussion was with the review team as a whole.

As with Gastil, I was pretty upfront about any challenges we were/are having. I directly addressed how recent changes in our IM system were targeted to address weaknesses identified in the proposal review, which I think was appreciated (although I did not get the sense that the review team had actually seen these reviews before).

Perhaps because I did NOT deep-dive into the weeds of our IM system, a lot of the material/questions focused more on data literacy in our team of researchers, postdocs and students, how to improve data use, etc. This is something I’ve been charged with working on at NWT in addition to data management. I’m not sure if that’s a common division of labor across LTER sites, though.

Overall, the panel reviews were pretty positive for the IM component. HTH and I'm happy to share materials.

Sarah