[LTER-im] Institutional Research Data Management

Philip Tarrant philip.tarrant at asu.edu
Tue Jul 2 16:19:09 PDT 2019

Dear colleagues,
Arizona State University is exploring the idea of expanding research data management across our research centers and we think the embedded Data Manager (as per the LTER Information Managers), where a discipline aware data scientist is tightly coupled to the scientists conducting the science, could be an effective model for us to adopt.

I would be very interested to know which, if any, LTER-hosting institutions have a larger research data management community beyond the IMs at each LTER site. If your institution does have research data managers in other disciplines that you interact with in the same way that you interact with the IMC (i.e. as a community of practice), I would very much like to hear your views on how effective that is and whether or not it contributes to what you bring to the IMC.

Please reply directly to me with your thoughts and if you would be willing to discuss in more detail, let me know.

Thank you for your assistance,
Philip Tarrant
Director, Informatics and Technology | Senior Sustainability Scientist
[http://sustainability.asu.edu/docs/gios/signature/images/logo.png]
P.O. Box 875402 | Tempe, Arizona | 85287-5402
PH: 480-727-7860   |   Main: 480-965-2975
sustainability.asu.edu