[LTER-im] Google Maps API to require credit card?

Elizabeth Dobbins eldobbins at alaska.edu
Thu May 3 15:39:45 PDT 2018

Hi;

I investigated this by clicking the "Contact Sales" button on the web page
you mentioned.  I had a long discussion with a nice lady in Atlanta wherein
I impressed upon her that 1) for 10 years, my use of Google Maps has been
integral to the scientific research I do, and 2) the University is not set
up for billing this way.  She mentioned that other products have an "edu
model", but Maps doesn't because this is a new system.  She took my
concerns to a meeting where they agreed that many people use Maps the way I
do at universities.  She said they would consider including an edu
exemption in the Maps pricing depending on how many other people contact
them with concerns like mine.

In the meantime, she has forwarded my case to a 3rd party resource - T
Science?  They partner with Google to provide other billing options, but
that's all I know so far.

Anyone else having experiences in this strange new world?

Liz