[LTER-im] what data should be archived?

Whiteaker, Timothy L whiteaker at utexas.edu
Fri Jun 1 09:01:31 PDT 2018

Hi all,

Are there guidelines which describe **what** LTER data should be archived?  For example, should we be archiving these things?
* Raw sensor data, or just QC'd result
* 1000s of Monte-Carlo datasets, or just summary of the result
* Columns originally used for intermediate calculations in Excel, like a column that multiples Celsius by 9/5, and another column that adds 32 to it to get F

I'm aiming for usefulness and reproducibility, but sometimes I have a hard time determining how far back to take the data (as in the first example above) to have it still count as reproducible.

Thanks!

Tim Whiteaker
Research Scientist
The University of Texas at Austin