[LTER-im] publishing data collected outside of your LTER

Whiteaker, Timothy L whiteaker at utexas.edu
Sat Jul 28 10:26:28 PDT 2018

Dear IMs,

What is appropriate with respect to archiving data (e.g., submitting data to EDI) that wasn't officially collected by your LTER site?  Here are some examples.

Our new LTER will build from some long-standing work in our study area.  There is a large database of observations data that we're inheriting from that prior work.  We will continue those observations.  Should I package up and archive the old observations, or just the ones produced since our LTER site started?

Suppose we download GIS datasets published by others and crop them to our study area.  This becomes part of our project GIS that our whole team uses.  Is this something we should submit to an archive, even though the data may already be available (in uncropped form) elsewhere online?

What about USGS stream gauge data that we use to calibrate our hydrologic models?

Thanks!

Tim Whiteaker

BLE Information Manager