[LTER-im] zotero for lter sites

Jonathan Walsh walshjcaryinstitute at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 19:31:29 PDT 2018

I'm very interested in it and I think it's would be very useful.

I'd vote for using Google Docs as the medium for the document.  I don't
know if there is already a Zotero Best Practices for LTER doc.

I'd be interested in an informal working group.  I can't take on much right
around now ;-)

I'd like to work on that API some more too.

On Mon, Aug 6, 2018 at 7:31 PM, John Porter <jhp7e at virginia.edu> wrote:

> Tim,
>
> We use Zotero (through ZotPress) for publishing to our WordPress site, but
> use EndNote as the backend database, periodically updating Zotero from
> it... (Liz, let me know if you want a copy of my instructions for updating
> Zotero from EndNote). I had considered using Zotero so PI's could enter
> their own publications, but soon realized that dealing with the duplicates,
> misspellings and other problems meant as much editing time as my data entry
> time if I do it myself (my latest ploy, use Google Scholar to find the pub,
> then download the Endnote Citation record for import).
>
> For Research.gov we've used a modified output filter in EndNote.... It
> requires customization because Research.gov is very picky about text (ask
> Margaret for details). Let me know if you want to see the EndNote
> filter.....
>
> At the network level, I'd need to get an idea from the PI's and students
> as to how they would like to use a network-wide bibliography. I think a
> major use tends to be for counts of publications in different categories
> for reports, but I don't know that too many people would actually just be
> browsing the bibliography.
>
> Given the good web services API for Zotero we might be able to create
> composite bibliographies relatively automatically - just by sharing the API
> Key for site bibliographies with the LTER Biblioczar..... But that assumes
> everyone is OK with Zotero and we can actually find a Biblioczar! :)
>
> -John Porter
>

> On 8/6/2018 2:46 PM, Elizabeth Dobbins wrote:
>
> Hi;
>
> I'm interested in this.  I've got a zotero account (under my own name)
> that includes a lot of publications from legacy projects and background
> info. I've also got it wired into our WordPress site. We don't do anything
> fancy. No subset collections etc.  Our main goal is just to have a
> comprehensive list that can be searched.
>
> I guess I'm most interested in how to divvy those up for official LTER
> stuff. And I hadn't thought of how to use it with research.gov.  Our PIs
> use EndNote completely separately from my efforts, and it would be nice to
> merge them somehow.
>
> Am willing to serve on a working group if only to answer these questions.
>
> Liz
>

> On Mon, Aug 6, 2018 at 9:55 AM, Whiteaker, Timothy L <whiteaker at utexas.edu
> > wrote:
>
>> Dear IMs,
>>

>> tl;dr Ignore if you aren't interested in Zotero.
>>
>> Let's establish Zotero best practices for LTER sites. Who's in?
>>

>> ----------------
>>

>> I'm getting started with Zotero as a reference manager for BLE LTER.  I'd
>> like to identify best practices for using Zotero to catalog an LTER's
>> publications.
>>
>> 1.       Does a "Zotero for LTER Sites" best practices document exist?
>> If not, then I want to start one, so…

> [...]

Jonathan Walsh
orcid.org/0000-0002-0658-0814
Information Manager, Baltimore Ecosystem Study
Cary Institute of Ecosystem Studies
Box AB; Route 44A
Millbrook, NY 12545-0129
P: 845/677/7600 Extension 103