[LTER-im] Representing datasets from other parties when they are integral to your work

Corinna Gries cgries at wisc.edu
Thu Sep 21 09:05:49 PDT 2017

Hi Jonathan et al.,

Once you get to think about this, would you be interested in summarizing this as best practice documentation? It sounds as so everyone has slightly, but not majorly different approaches that would be great to compile in an article. I am sure Don and John would help – right?

I think this discussion goes beyond the simple provenance implementation in EML where we say in our best practices:

The <dataSource>  tag is for nesting an EML dataset which may be an input to a <methodStep> of the data being described, e.g., calibration information for an instrument or input parameters for a model. This element will also be used by the PASTA provenance tracking system for recording the source data when a derived product is created and described with EML. For more information, see Section III, Recommendations for
Compatibility with External Applications.

And an example of the EML is on page 51 of the document https://im.lternet.edu/sites/im.lternet.edu/files/emlbestpractices-2.0-FINAL-20110801_0.pdf
and somebody mentioned already that if the source dataset is in PASTA it will generate such an EML snippet. Otherwise you’d have to write it yourself.

Corinna