[LTER-im] Representing datasets from other parties when they are integral to your work

Jonathan Walsh walshjcaryinstitute at gmail.com
Wed Sep 20 08:11:55 PDT 2017

Hi IMs!

I have a question on how to best represent data that your study uses, but
is provided by others.  If you use such data, we could use your insights on
how you make that portion of your data available to the community and the
LTER.

Baltimore Ecosystem Study gets its stream flow data from the USGS.  We in
turn use this flow data to calculate our daily loads and other results that
we track.  The USGS data are kept on their website and we incorporate them
into our work.

For the purposes of making our data available to the larger community,
(LTER, PASTA, DataONE, etc.)  we have historically just pointed to the USGS
data on the USGS site.  (example:
https://waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/nwis/uv?01589197 ) as opposed to collecting
our own copy and providing it ourselves.

The above precludes us from providing a direct link to the data such as
that that would be PASTA "type 1".

If you have any suggestions as to how, if differently, we should represent
these data, which are integral to our work, but not provided by us, I would
very much appreciate hearing them.

Thank you!

Jonathan

-
Jonathan Walsh
orcid.org/0000-0002-0658-0814
Information Manager, Baltimore Ecosystem Study
Cary Institute of Ecosystem Studies
Box AB; Route 44A
Millbrook, NY 12545-0129
P: 845/677/7600 Extension 103