[LTER-im] working towards the next EML release

Matt Jones jones at nceas.ucsb.edu
Sun Jul 23 23:52:45 PDT 2017

Hi EML'ers --

Seems like EML has been plugging along in people's systems for quite a few
years, which is pretty cool.  Enough requests for changes have accumulated
that several of us are starting to work on a new release of EML.
Contributions, issues, and pull requests are welcomed.

Our initial goal will be for it to be backwards compatible (all EML 2.1.1
docs would be valid under the new schema with just a namespace change), but
this will be re-evaluated as the list of enhancements is processed.  We
invite you to contribute to this process.  Most discussion of changes will
occur in the new GitHub issue tracker that we set up for the project, plus
a Slack channel (see below).  You can see progress towards the new release
here:

https://github.com/NCEAS/eml/projects/1

To provide a more dynamic place to discuss issues, we also set up a Slack
channel for discussions.  You can connect to it by creating an account for
the NCEAS slack team (http://slack.nceas.ucsb.edu) and then, once you are
signed in, join the #eml channel.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts, and to your contributions,

Matt

--
Matthew B. Jones
http://orcid.org/0000-0003-0077-4738

Director of Informatics R&D
National Center for Ecological Analysis and Synthesis
University of California Santa Barbara
http://www.nceas.ucsb.edu/ecoinfo

PI, NSF Arctic Data Center
https://arcticdata.io