[LTER-im] Update on replicating Arctic LTER datasetst to the Arctic Data Center

Eda C. Melendez-Colom edacorreo at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 9 13:05:53 PST 2017

Ken and James,
Thank you for sharing this important issue.
I am still not certain about the implications of using the LTER Data Portal as the sole archive center of each site's data but two things come to my mind:
1. I think I misunderstood the EDI members in our last meeting; I was certain that they said that centralization of the LTER data archiving and sharing was eminent.2. I think the data archival distribution paradigm has many obvious advantages and even more, our present "centributed" (like we once called in the 90s) data archival model has even more advantages.
I can imagine James' dissapointment when NSF reacted that way but I am very glad that they still favor site's data archival.
In regard to possible conflicts in data policies, that is an inevitable issue that people in the EDI in collaboration with the NCO will have to address and resolve.
EDA
 Eda C. Melendez Colom
 Information Manager
 LTER Program