[LTER-im] working group to address IM skill set and training resources

Stevan Earl stevan.earl at asu.edu
Tue Oct 18 10:30:46 MDT 2016

Dear IMs,

During Gastil's meeting with the NCO this past September, Marty had
inquired about requisite skills of an LTER IM and the availability of
resources to develop those skills given that new sites are slated to come
online in the not-too-distant future. In light of that, particularly, but
also considering turnover of the IM position at existing sites, and
enhancing the skills of current IMs, it seemed generally agreed that it
would be beneficial to catalog the skills that an LTER IM should possess,
and identify pathways to develop or enhance those skills if and as needed.
We have formed a working group to address this. John Porter and Jonathan
Walsh have graciously agreed to help with this effort, and Kristin will
observe the group's progress as it relates to EDI. Given the diversity of
approaches to IM across the sites, it would be helpful to have relatively
broad input on this topic. Please contact me if you would like to
contribute to this working group. We have been slow to get started, in
part, as we wait for EDI's approach to training to become clearer but they
are making progress on that front as we have seen from Kristin's recent
emails, and it seems appropriate to move forward with this working group at
this time.

Thanks in advance for your consideration.

Regards,
Stevan

--
*Stevan Earl*
Information Manager, Central Arizona–Phoenix LTER

P.O. Box 875402 | Tempe, Arizona | 85287-5402
PH: 480-965-1851 | Main: 480-965-2975