[LTER-im] Long term storage solutions, cool badges and free DOIs

Inigo San Gil isangil at lternet.edu
Tue Jun 7 11:49:43 MDT 2016

While I was exploring other's people approaches to solutions, I bumped
into a github badge in the form of a DOI.

I think I saw it before, but this time I took a closer look -- the
aggregator is Zenodo, a EU FP7 funded initiative that seems quite
agile.  Zenodo hosts the large hadron collider (LHC) data - the majority
of LTERs collective data volume is about a couple of days in the life of
the LHC.  However, Zenodo seems to remove the ridiculous barriers that
sometimes we see in our doorsteps. Datasets are fair game, as well as
(and I quote: publications (book, book section, conference paper,
journal article, patent, preprint, report, thesis, technical note,
working paper, etc.), posters, presentations, datasets, images (figures,
plots, drawings, diagrams, photos), software, videos/audio and
interactive materials such as lessons)

Not that you should take your blinders off, but in case you feel like
you want to explore or get yourself a cool badge without the upfront
barrier or "No, Inigo, no", here is another option. Come to think about
it, alternatives abound.  Did you find any? Let me know, please.

Inigo