[LTER-im] Fw: Re: [LTER-im-rep] Volunteer needed

Fox Peterson fox at tinybike.net
Tue Sep 8 15:16:04 MDT 2015

No problem. I found a pricing model for private repos online:
https://github.com/pricing  First 5 repositories are $7 per month. Repos
can be pretty expansive, containing entire projects on them, so you could
have one for notes/forms/documents all together with folders for
organizing. Smasher has nearly 40,000 lines of code in it, and the repo is
not nearly full -- they can hold a lot. I think there is a limit per
transfer but all of our tree biomass as a csv did not bust it and I think
that is at least 6 digits of rows.

If there's a general interest, I'm happy to host a short webinar using a
slide deck I have left over from ESIP to walk you through it as a group, or
just to help you one on one over the phone or with something like
codeshare.io. You can call me anytime (reasonable hours, though, I like
sleeping) or email me and we can probably get you up and going in an hour
or less.

One tool that helped me get going is :
http://onlywei.github.io/explain-git-with-d3/#commit. I'd suggest to do the
exercises for each command and look at the picture it makes, and mess with
it to try to make it make a bunch of crazy things (i.e. commit something 20
times in a row, etc.). Each exercise if you do it verbatim takes maybe a
minute to do and there's 12 of them, plus 3 challenges that take maybe 2-5
minutes each to do. I.e. you can do it over lunch. :). There's also a "free
area" where you can play with visualizing all different commands and
workflows and see what happens.

Fox

--
*Fox Peterson *
Data Scientist

*Contact Information:*
Work: 541.758.8754 (M-F, 7:30-12:45/13:15-17:30 Pacific)
Personal/Cell: *404.580.5016*, or call via iPhone <1-404-580-5016>