[LTER-im-rep] ILTER Site data

Marty Downs downs at nceas.ucsb.edu
Tue Oct 15 11:12:04 PDT 2019

Dear LTER PIs, Information Managers, and Project Managers,

I, and a group of 24 LTER participants, recently returned from the
International LTER Open Science Meeting. We heard about lots of interesting
science and big plans for expansion of several country networks. The
European LTER Network just received major funding through the European
Strategy Forum for Research Infrastructures (ESFRI) for a combined
LTER-Critical Zone-LTSER network and the South Africans are launching a
major coastal/marine collaboration network.

With other regions ramping up their own LTER funding, the number of
potential collaborating sites and networks is growing all the time -- which
makes it that much more important that potential collaborators can find you!

Some of our newer sites may not even know that ILTER has a site database
where you can update your site's information. They do....and you can find
all the formally accredited sites here: https://deims.org/map/ You may
notice that a few US sites are missing. Some of our younger sites have been
added recently so will need to fill in the majority of their information.
(See instructions below.) Some long time sites are missing just a few key
pieces of information to reach the threshold that ILTER requires for
accreditation and display.

*The next deadline for site accreditation is November 18, 2019 *and our
ILTER colleagues are quite anxious to have as complete a database as
possible.

*INSTRUCTIONS*
Please login to the site registry here: *https://deims.org/
<https://deims.org/> *using the username:
*US and pw:**?US80*

If you are unable to log in, it maybe that others are actively using the
account, please try back again later. If you are unable to log in after a
few attempts, check in with me and we can troubleshoot it.

After login, choose edit>>site>>my sites and select *your LTER site* from
the list. In addition to the 28 existing LTER sites, you will notice
several sub-sites. If one of those should be associated as a sub-site of
your LTER site, please let me know, as that will have to be handled
manually at the ILTER Office.

Have a look at the requested information and determine who at your site is
the most appropriate person to complete it and send me their name so I will
know who to ping for future updates.

Choose "edit site" and start filling in information -- noting that
additional pages need to be accessed via the menu on the left of the page.
A box at the top right will also direct you to the items that ILTER
considers essential for a complete profile. The full list of those items is
here:
https://deims.org/docs/lter.html#list-of-required-fields-for-any-lter-site

*Creating an individual account*
To avoid login conflicts among 28 sites, the user who will be editing site
information may want to sign up for their own DEIMS-SDR account. To do so,
visit this page: https://deims.org/contact
Fill in the requested information and choose "request user account" from
the drop down menu. Chris Wohner, the ILTER information manager, will
create an account. You will still need to login under the US account to
change the identity of the site manager to the newly-created account, but
should then be able to logout and log back in with your personal account.

Improved instructions and tutorials for common tasks are here:
https://deims.org/docs/

Questions? I'm happy to be a first point of contact and direct you to the
most appropriate person to answer them.

Thanks so much for your cooperation!
Marty

--