[LTER-im-rep] Fw: imexec

Corinna Gries cgries at wisc.edu
Thu Mar 17 09:08:50 MDT 2016

Dear Eda,

I am sorry you weren’t able to join our latest water cooler this week to continue this discussion. We did bring up your concerns again and I would like to summarize the discussion. The full notes from the water coolers will be on our IM site soon.

In a round robin we tried to get everyone’s opinion and we all agree that this transition is difficult and means change for all of us. However, most felt that we will be able to find our identity in the data center, albeit a somewhat changed and more inclusive one. There are many good aspects of that change without losing our identity and still keeping our good social relationships within the group that have propelled us through difficult times. One aspect that some saw as positive is that in the current constellation (LTER IMC with IMExec) we are seen as an impenetrable block fueling a ‘us against them’ mentality. Opening up to other members, e.g., domain scientists and NCO folks, would allow us to overcome those obstacles to successful data management while still keeping bonds through our work. None of us is trying to become a scientist, but we do want to collaborate with them to make IM better serve science.

Changing our focus a bit and letting go of what have been very successful committees in past will pull all our energy into NIMO, which will be necessary to be successful. You bring up centralized IM and I still think that the proposal we wrote with distributed centers of expertise and skill exchange is the best compromise between strictly site IM and strictly centralized IM.

☺ and learning to think in English – I can relate and I don’t think we should loose our ethnic identity, just celebrate and contribute to the diversity. So, I hope we all can embrace the change and move forward together. Sorry, I still don’t have any news on the funding.

Corinna