[LTER-im-rep] ESIP meeting, and LTER - Distributed Information Management Feasibility Exercise

Margaret O'Brien margaret.obrien at ucsb.edu
Sat May 23 13:11:33 MDT 2015

Hello all -
Included below is the summary that Philip sent out last week, to remind
you all of where we are in the feasibility exercise, "LTER Distributed
Information Management". Please note that I am sending this to the
IM-rep list, so please share with others at your site, as appropriate.
6-10 IMs have continued  to hold regular google-hangouts (Fridays, 3pm
EDT), and notes are available (see Philip's email). We anticipate these
continuing, and that Saran Twombly will occasionally join.

As part of the planning process, NSF has offered us supplement funds to
bring people to a physical meeting for more intensive work than can be
accomplished over the phone or in VTCs. It is most efficient to
coordinate this with already-anticipated travel, and the upcoming ESIP
meeting in mid-July seems perfectly timed. This message is a request for
you to show your interest in attending.

Note that in Philip's timeline, during July we expect this exercise to
be focused in these areas:
   -- the Yes/No decision from the IMC/LPIs on the feasibility of
distributed data management, and
   -- conditionally on that answer being 'Yes', a draft proposal for
discussion.
All during the spring and summer, we will be building ideas incrementally.

We expect that we will need some dedicated time, apart from the ESIP
meeting. So participants should plan to arrive one day early (Sunday,
July 12), and that we will work together on this exercise on Monday. The
ESIP meeting runs Tuesday-Friday morning, and our group may be able to
use ad hoc time then as well. Specifically, participants need to be
willing to contribute to the project scope, description, and draft
proposal prep.

A draft supplement proposal has been started, but the number of
participants to be budgeted for is still TBD.  The supplement will cover
travel to/from Monterey, lodging at Alisomar (including the extra day),
meals as needed, and ESIP registration.

If you would like to participate in the the LTER Distributed Information
Management feasibility meeting and ESIP meeting, please reply to this
message. Include in your reply a short statement describing how you see
yourself participating in this exercise, and your areas of expertise in
IM or project planning. Please understand that this offer comes with
strings -- it is not just an opportunity to attend ESIP sessions,
although that is certainly a bonus.

Best regards,
Margaret O'Brien

Links:
ESIP meeting, summer 2015: http://commons.esipfed.org/2015SummerMeeting

Session at ESIP you should note, because it dovetails with this
exercise: http://commons.esipfed.org/node/8001
(proposed by Corinna)

Margaret O'Brien
Information Management