[LTER-im-rep] Vote to move forward with IM data management exercise

Philip Tarrant philip.tarrant at asu.edu
Thu Jul 30 12:41:40 MDT 2015

Dear colleagues,

Let me do my best to address the comments resulting from my earlier e-mail.

I think the timing of the vote is appropriate given where we are in this process. If you follow the link you will see that the text of the vote is as follows:

‘As the Information Manager representing my LTER site I recommend that we should proceed with developing a proposal to the National Science Foundation to manage LTER information management needs using the "NIMO” model’

We committed to Saran Twombly fairly early on that we would indicate over the summer if we were willing and able to propose a solution driven by the IM community. This vote meets that commitment. As a community we have already put in significant effort and I don’t think we should expend any more energy until we know people are in favor of the idea. We need the vote in advance of our annual meeting because the outcome of the vote will significantly affect how we spend our time next month. We have a great opportunity with us all being together to continue developing these ideas with full IMC input. I think that opportunity will be wasted if we don’t prepare accordingly.

The proposal development will follow if people vote for this work to continue. While I think the core of any proposal has to include continuity for existing services, it does not exclude us from also proposing new ideas. We just aren’t there yet.

A NO vote will result in me advising Saran that the IMC is not interested in managing the LTER network data management services. By us declining this opportunity I assume it will lead to an open RFP inviting interested organizations to submit proposals.

Hopefully, this answers your immediate concerns. If you feel unable to commit one way or the other there is the option to abstain.

On a general note, if anyone still has questions feel free to give me a call to discuss. I am on 480-727-7860.

Regards,
--
Philip Tarrant
Director, Informatics and Technology | Senior Sustainability Scientist