[LTER-im-rep] update and water cooler

Corinna Gries cgries at wisc.edu
Wed Dec 23 09:23:53 MST 2015

Hi all,

We hope you are enjoying the holidays with sunshine, rain or snow, and well above or below average temperatures, depending on where you are in this crazy winter.

We would like to update you all on our proposal progress after (Corinna) temporarily dropping off the face of the earth for a wonderful vacation in New Zealand (bad timing, but I had a great time). We now have received input to the first draft from several IMs and members of the EB which we are working through and integrating. Thank you to all of those who put the effort into wading through this rough first draft and are helping to improve it. We hope to have a second draft out to the people who have agreed to read through yet another time and then a final version for the entire IMC to read and discuss before we submit middle of January (aiming for the 15th). As it always goes with writing, we may be asking you all for a fairly quick read and turnaround in early January, but hope that at that point there won't be any surprises. At least not in the proposal, we'll see what NSF will say.

Please fill out the doodle if you are interested in participating in a water cooler session to discuss the proposal on Monday January 11, 3:00-4:00pm EST or Tuesday, January 12, 12:00-1:00pm EST, but of course e-mails/phone calls with comments, questions, concerns are always welcome as well.

http://doodle.com/poll/u3uet92ymru2gv47

Yesterday, we submitted a supplement proposal to start working with LNO and NCO on transitioning LTER websites, databases, and technical services (all except PASTA for now) from LNO to either NCO or NIMO as appropriate. If that gets funded  we will be able to get started with the process in early spring while LNO is still operational. However, Matt Jones, Mark Schildhauer, and James Brunt have already worked hard on gathering detailed information of what needs to be done. You probably remember that we already discussed the most important issues in our last water cooler based on that exploratory work. We will keep you posted and will need more input from the IMC as this progresses.

Happy Holidays and all the best for an exciting New Year
Corinna and Paul