[LTER-im-rep] IMC poll comments

Philip Tarrant philip.tarrant at asu.edu
Thu Aug 13 09:25:54 MDT 2015

Dear colleagues,

As I mentioned last week, below are the comments from our IMC poll:

I vote Yes to " proceed with developing a proposal to the National Science Foundation to manage LTER information management" BUT ABSTAIN TO VOTE FOR USING THE NIMO MODEL UNTIL WE HAVE A THOROUGH DISCUSSION ABOUT IT!!!
7/30/2015 12:34 PM

This proposed model for distributed LTER data center is a good start, I am supportive of moving forward with this model. Thanks for all your work.
7/30/2015 1:08 PM

The governance model needs to be separated. I would like to see another vote once the plan is completed by both the site IMs and lead PIs to adopt the final plan. I think the buy in of the entire LTER for the final data center plan would be a good signal to NSF that it has a good chance for success. It would also help in justifying and securing a larger initial operating budget.
7/31/2015 11:05 AM

I am voting yes to continue development as it provides LTER IMs direct input to the future of a LTER Data Center. I look forward to discussions at the ASM where hopefully more details of a NIMO working model can be firmed up. I think the budget will determine how creative the NIMO can be with services once core services have been accomplished, however that doesn't preclude thinking about providing creative core services.
8/4/2015 9:20 AM

I am voting yes as not to derail this project but I have growing concerns about the meaning and timing of this particular vote. I have been unable to have any kind of a meaningful discussion with my site leadership about the topic and it seems like the discussion at this point should include more than just IM's. I am fully behind the concept but I am not sure we are being as inclusive of dissenting opinions as we should be or are not communicating the details and decision making process effectively. The devil is not only in the details but also the timing of our actions. Either way the uncertainty and confusion is not helping to support the significant efforts of those leading the charge and are compounding to divide our network. I look forward to continuing this discussion and whatever the future of LTER IM may be.
8/5/2015 6:53 PM

Regards,
Philip Tarrant
Director, Informatics and Technology | Senior Sustainability Scientist
Julie Ann Wrigley Global Institute of Sustainability | Arizona State University
  Sustainable data - use, preserve, re-use