[LTER-im-rep] Network information management exercise - results of vote

Philip Tarrant philip.tarrant at asu.edu
Thu Aug 6 14:00:04 MDT 2015

Dear colleagues,

Thank you for taking the time to vote and for some very helpful comments. We had almost full participation with only one site not casting a vote in the requested timeframe. The final outcome is 23-0 in favor of continuing to develop plans for an IMC managed information management organization.

Firstly, I would like to thank you for your willingness to continue exploring this idea. I know some IMC members have concerns and I appreciate you reserving judgement to allow this effort to move forward. I hope we can address those concerns as a community in the near future. We now have a great opportunity for the whole IMC to contribute ideas and IMexec will plan the IMC meeting agenda to accommodate as much break out time as possible, so we can work on the details. Hopefully, WGs will find additional opportunities to get together during the course of the ASM as well.

Several of you have highlighted (and I entirely agree!) that we must effectively communicate what we have in mind to our site colleagues, as their support is critical. We have a poster spot reserved at the ASM and a WG session on the Wednesday specifically targeted at our scientists. During that session we will share what we have conceptualized so far and collect input as to how we can ensure our processes meet their needs.  We will distribute the date/time of that session closer to the ASM and I would encourage you to invite your colleagues (especially senior site personnel) to attend. While the ASM is a good communications opportunity, we will also need to utilize other communications vehicles. If you have suggestions for effective ways to share these ideas, please let me know.

Finally, the survey responses included some very helpful comments. With the permission of those respondents, I would like to anonymously publish these to the IMC. However, if you included a comment in your response and would prefer not to have it published, just let me know and I will exclude it.

Thank you for your support and participation.

Philip Tarrant
Director, Informatics and Technology | Senior Sustainability Scientist
Julie Ann Wrigley Global Institute of Sustainability | Arizona State University
  Sustainable data - use, preserve, re-use