[LTER-hbr_grad] Fall grad student updates for Hubbard Brook LTER

Jenny Bower jennifer.a.bower at gmail.com
Mon Oct 21 10:41:49 PDT 2019

Hi everyone (graduate students of Hubbard Brook LTER),

It’s been a while since I’ve sent out an update! There are some awesome things coming up that I wanted to key you all into.

First, the quarterly COS meeting is coming up on October 30, at the Cary Institute. The theme is “Beyond the Valley: Regionalizing the Hubbard Brook Ecosystem Study”, and scaling up HBES data to understand processes and management over a wider region. RSVP here:  https://form.jotform.com/92685930467975 <https://form.jotform.com/92685930467975> or connect remotely using the information sent by John and Pam!
You should be receiving a Slack invite soon to the group LTER Students. I set up a Hubbard Brook channel inside it, but this is a great way to also engage in the broader LTER community. For example, people use the Slack to find each other at meetings such as AGU, ESA, etc.
Note that there is a place on the national LTER website where you can submit your AGU presentation so that it is featured and promoted to the broader network. Submit here: https://lternet.edu/stories/presenting-agu2019/ <https://lternet.edu/stories/presenting-agu2019/>
Our site has an LTER blog <https://ssalter.blog/> takeover coming up in January—I know it’s early to start thinking about it, but if you’d like to be included or help contribute, let me know. We’re only up every 2 years.
Speaking of writing, the national network is starting a program to foster graduate student science writing. I’ll forward the email once it arrives, but basically there will be yearly positions available that entail writing 4 posts per year about ongoing research at your LTER site. The positions will be funded at $300 per story, and the writing posts will be published to the entire LTER community and beyond.
Subscribe to the LTER Science Update if you’re interested in receiving national LTER research updates here: https://us12.campaign-archive.com/home/?u=d7494403ed9d8c97a5479f0d4&id=51157f4ed5 <https://us12.campaign-archive.com/home/?u=d7494403ed9d8c97a5479f0d4&id=51157f4ed5>
Finally, at our site rep meeting, Brian Kim reminded us that the deadline for the quarterly LTER Cross-Site Student Activities funding is coming up on November 1st. This is a funding opportunity designed to foster collaboration and networking of graduate students within/between LTER sites. These can involve meetings at conferences or regional meetings between multiple LTER sites. If you’re interested in collaborating with another LTER or have an idea about this, feel free to reach out and we can put something together. More information here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/15NtxZYr4Bw5cCqzi-onUaf1y3GgW94f8iaJ6bnhtaUU/edit <https://docs.google.com/document/d/15NtxZYr4Bw5cCqzi-onUaf1y3GgW94f8iaJ6bnhtaUU/edit>

Happy autumn, y’all—our study site is looking particularly gorgeous this time of year :)

Jenny