[LTER-hbr_grad] A few HBR updates and announcements

Ashley K. Lang Ashley.K.Lang.GR at dartmouth.edu
Tue Jan 8 09:10:54 PST 2019

Hi all,

I just wanted to pass along a few bits of info from the most recent COS meeting last week at the Cary Institute.

Firstly, we are looking for a new HBR graduate student rep! If you are interested in filling this position or want to know more about the role, I am more than happy to fill you in on the details and responsibilities. I believe the protocol for applying will be to tell your PI, and they will nominate you when the nomination period opens shortly. The graduate student rep should attend COS meetings, and particularly the next one in April if you are chosen to be the new representative.

Secondly, the Hubbard Brook LTER grant is having it’s mid-term review this year, and we need as many students as possible to attend the site visit (at Hubbard Brook) on June 3rd and 4th—NSF program officers will evaluate the success of the site partially on representation of graduate students and post-docs, and there is a meeting planned for graduate students to talk to the program officers (with no PIs present) about our experiences doing work at Hubbard Brook and how we are supported by the LTER funding. Please make an effort to be there if you can! We have evidently been dinged in the past for poor attendance.

Finally, Mary Martin has told me that almost nobody responded to her Dec. 19 email about the Hubbard Brook data policy—so please drop her a note about the datasets you are working with and generating. Even if you don't have anything completed yet, it is helpful for her to know what is in the pipeline.

Thanks and feel free to be in touch with any questions!
Ashley
Ashley Lang
Department of Biological Sciences
Dartmouth College