[LTER-hbr_grad] Fwd: [HubbardBrook] Recent Incident at Pleasant View Farm

Ashley K. Lang Ashley.K.Lang.GR at dartmouth.edu
Fri Jun 15 07:11:32 PDT 2018

FYI- for those who haven’t seen/heard already:

Begin forwarded message:

From: Anthea Lavallee <alavallee at hubbardbrookfoundation.org<mailto:alavallee at hubbardbrookfoundation.org>>
Subject: [HubbardBrook] Recent Incident at Pleasant View Farm
Date: June 14, 2018 at 5:04:52 PM EDT
To: hubbardbrook at lists.sr.unh.edu<mailto:hubbardbrook at lists.sr.unh.edu>

Dear Members of the Hubbard Brook Community,

I’m writing to share news of an incident that occurred recently at Pleasant View Farm.  Over the weekend, a disguised video recording device had been placed in an upstairs bathroom at Pleasant View Farm.  The suspect was a summer resident, and the device had the appearance of a phone charger.  A fellow resident discovered the device quickly and removed it.  The crew leader in residence immediately notified the Principal Investigators who then shared news of the situation with the Hubbard Brook Research Foundation.  HBRF called the local police, and the suspect was taken away on Monday afternoon by the Thornton authorities.  The police are now actively investigating the details of the case.  The suspect is legally prohibited from returning to Hubbard Brook properties, but we are also taking steps to re-key locks, restrict key and wifi access, and add new locks at our facilities.  While the immediate threat has been addressed, restoring a sense of safety and security is an ongoing priority.  Hubbard Brook leadership across our network of cooperating institutions takes this incident very seriously and considers the safety and privacy of our community members its top priority.  We will discuss this particular incident and general issues of safety, sensitivity, and inclusion together as a group in a Town Hall-style meeting on Thursday, July 12, from 1:00 - 2:00 at Pierce Lab.  All are welcome and encouraged to participate in the discussion.

The awareness and good judgement of bird crew members at Pleasant View Farm led to the early detection of the device and the rapid implementation of our safety response.  Following their example, we should all be on the lookout for suspicious electronic devices that seem out of place and in locations where there is an expectation of privacy.  If you see anything unusual, you should alert your immediate supervisor right away.  Do not take any actions on your own initiative or attempt a confrontation.

Please contact me if you have any questions, concerns, or suggestions.  We are committed to taking every precaution to prevent this from happening again.

Sincerely,
Anthea

--
Anthea Lavallee