[LTER-hbr-im] Utilizing HB weather data in bat activity study

Jessica S. Ralston Jessica.S.Ralston at dartmouth.edu
Mon Jul 22 17:37:57 PDT 2019

To whom it may concern,

I am a research technician working in Hannah ter Hofstede’s Bioacoustics lab at Dartmouth College.  We were hoping to gain permission to use Hubbard Brook’s archived precipitation and temperature data to assist us in our analysis on the four years (2015-2018) of bat activity data we have collected over Mirror Lake.  We hope to submit for publication by the end of the summer.

Through the data portal on the Hubbard Brook website, I came across the rain gauge data, Hubbard Brook Experimental Forest: Daily Precipitation Standard Rain Gage Measurements, 1956 – present.

https://portal.lternet.edu/nis/metadataviewer?packageid=knb-lter-hbr.13.12

If allowed permission to use the data, could you inform me on which gauge is closest to mirror lake?  Form the looks, it would be the Head quarters gauge (RG22)? These are the measurements we would most likely use when referring to estimated precipitation at Mirror Lake.

Secondly, could you direct me to where I may find average daily temperatures for 2015-2018, or better yet, nightly temperatures?

Thank you for any help and feedback you can provide, it is much appreciated.

Sincerely,

Jess

Jessica Jones
Castleton University - 2017 Graduate
Biology: Ecological & Evolutionary studies
Dartmouth College - Bioacoustics Lab Technician