[LTER-hbr-im] Using bird abundance data from HBEF for modeling

Abe Borker aborker at ucsc.edu
Tue Jan 3 14:30:12 PST 2017

Hello,

I hope this message reaches you well, I am requesting to use the Bird
Abundance at the HBEF 10ha study plot (1969-2015) data set located at
http://www.hubbardbrook.org/data/dataset.php?id=81 for a modeling paper.  I
am a PhD student at UC Santa Cruz investigating the application of
ecoacoustic indices for long term monitoring of bird populations.  I
developed an agent based model of callers and a library of call and song
recordings to simulate morning choruses of historical HBEF bird communities
to study how ecoacoustic indices respond to bird community changes.  The
dataset I’d like to use is the basis for the relative abundance of callers
in the simulation.  I don’t have any specific questions, the data and
metadata was very clear, and I’m very grateful for you making it so
accessible for a young researcher such as myself.  This paper will be the
first chapter of my PhD thesis, and hopefully published, in which case I’ll
make sure to send you both the finished PhD thesis and peer reviewed
publication as per the data usage terms.  I wanted to contact you to ensure
I have permission to use the dataset in this fashion and that I am
correctly citing and acknowledging all your hard work.

I am citing as per the website:

Holmes, R.T. 2012. Bird Abundances at Hubbard Brook (1969-2010) and on
three replicate plots (1986-2000) in the White Mountain National Forest.
Durham, NH. Hubbard Brook Data Archive [Database].
http://hubbardbrook.org/data/dataset.php?id=81 (23 July 2012)

And the Holmes 1986 paper that describes the sampling protocol:

Holmes, R.T., Sherry, T.W., and Sturges, F.W. 1986. Bird community dynamics
in a temperate deciduous forest: long-term trends at Hubbard Brook. Ecol.
Monogr. 56(3):201-220.

I was confused how to insert the language in the acknowledgments,
particularly what agencies and grants should be acknowledged within the
square brackets:

Data on bird abundance from HBEF were provided by Richard T. Holmes on
January 3rd, 2017 via www.hubbardbrook.org. These data were gathered as
part of the Hubbard Brook Ecosystem Study (HBES). The HBES is a
collaborative effort at the Hubbard Brook Experimental Forest, which is
operated and maintained by the USDA Forest Service, Northern Research
Station, Newtown Square, PA. Significant funding for collection of these
data was provided by [agency]-[grant number], [agency]-[grant number], etc.

I hope to one day visit the fantastic 10ha plot, till then I’ll have to
settle for listening to my simulations!

Thank You,

Abraham Borker

PhD Candidate