[LTER-education] March Meeting Reminder!! Tomorrow-March 3rd

Scott Simon scott.simon at ucsb.edu
Wed Mar 2 11:06:49 PST 2022

Hello All and welcome to March Madness!!!

Just a reminder that the EOC's monthly meeting is TOMORROW!!

LTER Education Committee Conference Call

First Thursday of the Month

3:00-4:00 pm EST

12:00-1:00 pm PST

Our ZOOM link is:
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/ucsb.zoom.us/j/520501234__;!!HXCxUKc!kTRh2ap2jh3MUCsaEkg-WDAUrsaqYWQWEhWL6wl462PNd2K4kE4BRFL7bIImnVpZHg$>
https://ucsb.zoom.us/j/92461233272 (updated during June meeting)

If you need to check in via telephone the number is:

+13126266799,,92461233272# (one click for cell phone)

 +1 646 876 9923 (US Toll) or +1 312 626 6799 (US Toll), Meeting ID: 924
6123 3272

Running Meeting Notes <2021-2022 Running Meeting Notes_LTER Education and
Outreach Committee (EOC) LTER Education Committee Conference Call First
Thursday of the Month 3:00-4:00 pm EST 12:00-1:00 pm PST Our ZOOM link is:
https://ucsb.zoom.us/j/92461233272 (updated during June meeting) If you
need to check in via telephone the number is: +13126266799,,92461233272#
(one click for cell phone) +1 646 876 9923 (US Toll) or +1 312 626 6799 (US
Toll), Meeting ID: 924 6123 3272 The Google Team Drive link is:>
Below is a table that Kara created.  We worked on filling it with the ideas
people had for potential workshops for the ASM.  Take a look at it and
please feel free to add to it.  We will continue to discuss it but also
need to be mindful of getting them onto the ASM agenda!

We look forward to seeing y'all tomorrow!

Best,

Scott and Kara

Theme/topic

Format

Leads/collaborators/sites

description

Learning goals/objectives

Audience

Engaging “other” groups

Roundtable

Liz Marty, Scott, Jill

Making the track’s content attractive to researchers and information
managers as well as EOC

Include information on how to make the data accessible and re-usable for
the long run

Include information on how to easily connect to others who have an interest
in the data and the research, but from a different point-of-view

Making the track’s content attractive to researchers and information
managers as well as EOC

Include information on how to make the data accessible and re-usable for
the long run

Include information on how to easily connect to others who have an interest
in the data and the research, but from a different point-of-view

Policy makers

K-12

Artists-Journalists-Poets

Graduate students

Policy makers

Effective community engagement efforts network wide

? Exhibit or Workshop? Or Social event?

Alex, Alan, Annette and Steph

Universally applicable idea share/’Lightning round’ related to Broader
Impact efforts (inclusive of science communication): at tables, share (via
a one pager) things that your site is doing, ex. Chronolog; invite others
across the community of practice (have a template of the ideas, materials,
funding options/ideas etc.), share all the new videos and online ways of
engagement that have been created, datanuggets, - could be an
‘exhibit’/workshop - tell Gabe about this because they can easily be turned
into a google site and/or social media

Data collection, visualization and analysis (for K-12?)

Workshop

Caitlin, Steven, Holly, Isabel

How to Support Data Practices Workshop Track

Supporting students in collecting data

Data Visualization (including art)

Support data analysis (Data Jam, Data Nugget, etc)

Student voice and advocacy

Katie, Gabe, Kim, Noelia, Monique

Students presentations on ecosystems to govt officials (SEV, LUQ)

Workshop within data for education? Standalone workshop? Track around
student voice/empowerment

Student voice - moving from science communication to collaboration

Undergraduate (?) students

Ecosystem knowledge and advocacy

Katie, Gabe, Kim, Noelia, Monique

How do you get students invested in their local ecosystem?

Student advocacy, how do we get them talking across sites, raising
awareness of local ecosystems, customs, initiatives

Students (k-12/undergraduate?)

Field Trip

Scott,

K-12 teacher and scientist collaboration

Posters/workshop

Kara, Steven, Amanda, Liz, Scott, Kari

RETs - some sort of panel, set of virtual posters, etc. - how to share the
RET experience and impact with the broader network; we could share RET
hosting best practices; opportunity for teachers to share what works best
for them in terms of teacher professional learning and resources

PIs, graduate students, EOC

Coming Outta the CoNoNo

Pre-workshop EOC day

Kara, Scott, Sarah Garlick

What are we leaving behind and what are we taking with us? Lessons from
connecting with community throughout the COVID-19 pandemic…

Things we’ve shared we’d like to learn/improve:

Productive networking, sharing of ideas and opportunities to plan to work
together; Science communication skills; engagement by PIs, graduate
students, and others

Keynote Speaker

Pre-workshop EOC day

Kara, Scott, Sarah Garlick

??Ideas??

Related to our conversation about social justice and DEI…true community
engagement, Indigenous partnerships…can we highlight these?

(we have funds so we can bring someone in or do a training together)

NAAEE Guidelines for excellence (community engagement)

--
Scott E. Simon
Director-REEF