[LTER-education] Data Science 4 Everyone campaign

Annette Brickley abrickley.edu at gmail.com
Thu May 6 12:20:50 PDT 2021

I received this notice from Dataspires and I personally committed.  We will
talk about it as NES-LTER group as well.

*Data Science 4 Everyone Commitment & Join in!*

We joined the Data Science for Everyone
<https://rutgers.us16.list-manage.com/track/click?u=b4c33adff2af0c6d3a875fa0d&id=8cadc6f5e1&e=cc815427d7>
Commitments
Campaign and made our commitment to expanding access to quality data
literacy education in grades 3-12 and across subject areas. It’s your turn
to join #DS4Everyone to speak out about how you will take action.

The Data Science for Everyone
<https://rutgers.us16.list-manage.com/track/click?u=b4c33adff2af0c6d3a875fa0d&id=f92155aea9&e=cc815427d7>
Commitments
Campaign is elevating the importance of preparing students to apply data
literacy and mathematical concepts in their future lives and careers. The
campaign invites teachers, schools, and districts to make a public
'commitment' to what they are doing (or plan to do) to expand access to
data literacy and data science education. Teachers, schools, and districts
can commit at whatever stage they are at - be that launching a steering
committee, piloting a data science course, initiating teacher training,
updating frameworks or hiring an expert to support on long-term strategy.

The campaign is supported by former Education Secretary Arne Duncan and
Freakonomics author Steven Levitt, as well as more than 160 other prominent
researchers and advocates. The Campaign is seeking to advance policy and
programmatic changes that will bring data literacy opportunities to every
student. We’d love your support in this effort to promote all the amazing
things you are doing already with data in your area to broader audiences.

Commitment-makers gain access to many resources being offered exclusively
to schools and districts, including free software licenses, teacher
training, and courses. We have already seen action from San Diego Unified
School District, DC Public Schools, and others - when schools and districts
step up with a commitment, it sends the message to policymakers and
individuals that these skills are crucial for students entering a modern
economy.

*Commitments are due by May 16, 2021*
Visit the campaign’s website
<https://rutgers.us16.list-manage.com/track/click?u=b4c33adff2af0c6d3a875fa0d&id=a810f23e51&e=cc815427d7>
and
learn more on how to make a commitment!
Annette Laursen Brickley (she, her, hers)

TEMming the Gaps Consulting
<https://www.stemmingthegaps.com/>
NES-LTER <http://nes-lter.whoi.edu/> Education & Outreach Coord.

Mattapoisett
, MA
207-951-6273 (mobile)
Making data sing so everyone can dance and tell the stories. NES-LTER Data
Jam <https://sites.google.com/view/nes-lter-schoolyard-datajam>