[LTER-education] Join VCR, CCE and NWT in new Cit Sci effort?

Alexandra Rose alexandra.rose at colorado.edu
Tue Apr 13 10:46:24 PDT 2021

Hi All,
Cora (VCR), Caitlin (CCE) and I (NWT) are planning to invest in a new citizen science project this Spring. In brief, https://www.chronolog.io/ provides a plastic bracket where people can place their phones to take a standardized photo. A QR code and a link on the bracket direct people to upload their photos to their website. Chronolog then stitches the photos together and makes them available on their website with info about the site where the picture is taken. Here is a nice example<https://www.chronolog.io/site/KIB102>.  We're hoping that we can work with teachers and students to use these to explore phenology, seasonality, etc. We are also working to see if we can embed these videos into our websites for use by the general public.

We invite you to join us! The more of these brackets we purchase, the cheaper they are. And how cool would it be to have a website with all of the LTER photos available for comparison? Right now with the quantities we anticipate at our three sites, we're looking at $160 per year (the subscription is for the brackets, signage, photo management and website maintenance).

Please email us with questions and whether you're interested in trying it out!
Alex

A few other things:

1.       Photos are downloadable in their video or still format. We're trying to see whether we can accession these as LTER data.

2.       Right now sites link to the Chronolog website, but we've asked if we can embed our videos directly on our website so as not to drive people away from our sites and to provide the option of curating an LTER network collection of the videos.

3.       The brackets are designed to mount on 4x4" wooden fence posts but we're looking into alternatives like t-stakes or tripods, that would be more friendly for remote environments.

4.       We're all planning to do some combination of having LTER affiliates (REUs, Grads, etc.) taking photos regularly and having the option for the public to contribute when/where possible.

Alexandra P. Rose, PhD
CU Science Discovery
Niwot Ridge and McMurdo LTER
4001 Discovery Dr., 610 UCB