[LTER-education] Schoolyard Book Series in the time of COVID 19

Caitlin Potter caitlin at umn.edu
Fri Mar 20 14:42:04 PDT 2020

One of our grad students is going to do some readings even though we don't
have a CDR Schoolyard Book. And I'm working on some videos, StoryMaps,
activities, etc (not as exciting as a live reading!). I'm excited to share
what the rest of you are up to! REEFside chats sound so great!!

Caitlin

On Fri, Mar 20, 2020 at 4:35 PM Marty Downs <downs at nceas.ucsb.edu> wrote:

> Love the REEFside chats idea! And Kara's nature's challenge. Definitely we
> can share stuff from sites on network social, just tag @uslter.
> If you ARE organizing readings, let us know and we can record to post
> alongside the book resources.
>
> -M
>

> On Fri, Mar 20, 2020 at 12:04 PM Haas, Kara <karahaas at msu.edu> wrote:
>
>> I love the REEF side chats idea and if you do read a louds, please let me
>> know so I can share with my teachers and friends!
>>

>> Here’s what I’m working on at KBS (it’s not fully launched on our social
>> yet, I’ll be working on that Monday):
>>
>> Can we use technology to help us explore nature and connect with others
>> to share our curiosity?  Let’s find out!
>>

>> *Join us for Nature Challenge_Spring 20 on Facebook, Twitter or
>> Flipgrid.  *Each week we’ll post a Nature Challenge, a simple question
>> or observation that can be done in your backyard.  In order to play along,
>> take photos or make a short video reply to share what you have discovered
>> post on Facebook, Twitter or Flipgrid.  Interact by watching other people’s
>> content and commenting.
>>

>> *Facebook or Twitter with #KBSnature or upload through the Flipgrid app.
>> Come back to the topic to watch other family’s videos and interact by
>> writing or recording replies!   *
>>

>> *Participate through Facebook and Twitter *by following Kellogg
>> Biological Station <https://www.facebook.com/KelloggBioStn/>,
>> @KelloggBioStn <https://twitter.com/KelloggBioStn> and using #KBSnature
>> when you post your photo or video.
>>

>> *Participate through Flipgrid*: Flipgrid is a free tool and you can
>> choose whether to create an account or participate as a guest.  Downloading
>> the app on your phone or tablet is the easiest way to create and add
>> content.
>>
>> KBS K-12 Partnership Grid <https://flipgrid.com/b67bd7d1>
>>
>> 1st Topic: Intro to your backyard challenge, two ways to access:
>>
>> If you have or want to create a flipgrid account, click here:
>> <https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fflipgrid.com%2Fd69643f6%3Ffbclid%3DIwAR1MPLvJyOSJlbF9sMlkU7QZeMZ84JlC_eI6yHfyyzLa170-0_leDhUxB6E&h=AT2Mowl2YGqMT_xvwk1Q7ITuJDu68GFclf1_muYhBkjtY7uimWtWfRm9Srq7RYRrjS-eE-L4HD1ndaA0BLQskvKBx5g7qQLZjSiQB0-bnKjf-JioANjOEpKhvtchMmbC6g&__tn__=-UK-R&c%5b0%5d=AT1IzdfDX0ewB-Okg85BzLpGOLIac_dbQMj87-0URwt7USX2Sqsw9Rzx1ktP-q7g_mqnP_l55PG-rRHJFWaNCvxsbB61qFjxSqb_b3PEkubNqESbqfJ75ayRLJ03fufj4JpA7iY_w9YAv1zX9miKhg>
>> https://flipgrid.com/d69643f6
>>
>> If you want to try it as a guest, click here:
>> https://flipgrid.com/ed2e95e2
> [...]

Caitlin Barale Potter, Ph.D (she/her/hers)
Education and Community Engagement Coordinator
Cedar Creek Ecosystem Science Reserve, University of Minnesota
Office: 612-301-2602     Website: cedarcreek.umn.edu/ed