[LTER-education] On honor of Liz Duff

Marty Downs downs at nceas.ucsb.edu
Fri Jul 31 15:12:54 PDT 2020

Hi Friends,
I heard last week from Anne Giblin, PIE PI, that Mass Audubon had finished
setting up a fund for paid internships in salt marsh science and
conservation in honor of Liz Duff.

Today I sent off the combined $300 donation from the education and outreach
committee, along with the note below. Anne also shared the following
information, in case anyone who would like to contribute missed the earlier
call.

The Check should be payable to Mass Audubon and the memo line should say in
honor of Liz Duff to indicate that is what it is for.   The money will be
used to give small grants to students to let them do a salt marsh science
related paid internship. The address is: Mass Audubon, 87 Perkins Row,
Topsfield, MA 01983.

Dear Massachusetts Audubon colleagues,

Please accept the enclosed check for $300 on behalf of the Education and
Outreach Committee of the Long Term Ecological Research (LTER) Network, in
memory of our friend and colleague Liz Duff. We met monthly with Liz online
over the past several years and occasionally even got to get together in
person at network events or scientific meetings.

We valued her warmth, passion, commitment, and insight and were deeply
saddened to hear of her sudden passing. We are excited to hear from Dr.
Anne Giblin of the Plum Island Ecosystem LTER that you are developing a
paid internship fund, which will allow more students, from more challenging
circumstances, to get a foothold in salt marsh science and conservation.
That’s just the way Liz would have wanted it.

You must be missing Liz as much as we do.

In shared sorrow and sympathy,

Marty Downs

I am really appreciating today what a great, collaborative group we have.

Take care of yourselves and each other,
Marty

--
Marty Downs (she/her/hers) ORCID <https://orcid.org/0000-0003-2833-956X>
Director, LTER Network Office

 LTERNET.edu <https://twitter.com/USLTER> | LTER Zotero
<https://www.zotero.org/groups/2055673/lter_network/library> | LTER Twitter
<https://twitter.com/USLTER> | LTER YouTube
<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsyi2-kL_cTcm6FOnek-bRA>

*~ It is sometimes convenient for me to send email on evenings
and weekends. *
*Please do not feel obligated to respond outside of your normal working
hours ~*