[LTER-education] FW: [Reu-geo] REU workshop recordings (Fall 2020)

O'Connell, Kari Elizabeth Bisbee kari.oconnell at oregonstate.edu
Thu Dec 3 12:45:20 PST 2020

From: reu-geo <reu-geo-bounces at mailman.ucar.edu> On Behalf Of Valerie Sloan via reu-geo
Sent: Thursday, December 3, 2020 6:03 AM
To: GEO REU list <reu-geo at mailman.ucar.edu>
Subject: [Reu-geo] REU workshop recordings (Fall 2020)

[This email originated from outside of OSU. Use caution with links and attachments.]
Good morning,
We have wrapped up the fall workshop series for REU PIs, and recordings are now available. A huge thank you goes out to our presenters and participants!!

Elements of a GEO REU: A Virtual Workshop Series - Fall 2020<https://ncar.ucar.edu/what-we-offer/education-outreach/faculty-resources/geo-reu-resource-center/geo-reu-workshop-series>

  1.  GEO REU Network Introduction Recording<https://youtu.be/gkJiISo5XTM> (21:00)
  2.  Creating an Inclusive Application Recording<https://youtu.be/O9ZMjyOY1RA> (38:00)
  3.  Recruiting and supporting minoritized students (2 panelists) Recording<https://youtu.be/PbJ22_HZlKU> (1:00:00)
  4.  Structuring your program: creative ideas (4 short presentations, Q & A) Recording<https://youtu.be/vLVgBb6ea9Q> (1:12:00)
We hope that these workshops will prompt us to think about: the biases and privilege built into the metrics we use in selecting REU students (see workshop #2); how to connect with faculty at MSIs and support students (workshop #3); and alternative ways of designing REU projects and mentoring structures (workshop #4).

Timing of the next series: We will send out a Doodle Poll soon to find a better time of week for the spring workshop series. Stay tuned.

Have a good day and take a few deep breaths. They seem to help!

Val and Bec

P.S. This is the puppy that I am "fostering," Brisa. She's about ten weeks old
and very sweet and bouncy. She was the single pup of a rescued dog.
[IMG_8364 (1).jpg]
(I learned a new word last week, "foster-fail." Thanks, Megan Cook!)

Valerie Sloan, Ph.D.
NCAR Education & Outreach
P.O. Box 3000
Boulder, CO 80307-3000