[LTER-education] Citizen Science Subcommittee Minutes 5/14

Marty Downs downs at nceas.ucsb.edu
Mon May 20 09:13:05 PDT 2019

Hi folks,
Sorry to miss the call last week. Sounds like it was a good one. I wanted
to call your attention to a few participatory research resources
(participatory research is the latest name for citizen science and is
intended to be inclusive of all residents, not only those with official
citizenship).

National Geographic funds participatory research and has a nice set of
resources and opportunities (deadline coming up July 10) hereL:
https://www.nationalgeographic.org/funding-opportunities/grants/what-we-fund/participatory-science/

There is a catalog of all NSF-funded citizen science projects through 2018
here: https://www.citizenscience.gov/catalog/nsf/#
I'm guessing that they are updating it under the name participatory
research--somewhere--but I haven't found that page yet. In any case, this
might be a good way to plug into an existing project.

Cheers, Marty

On Tue, May 14, 2019 at 12:13 PM Nicholas Oehm Jr <oehmn at fiu.edu> wrote:

> Hi All.
>
> Thanks for a great call today!  It was super exciting to hear about great
> upcoming and current Citizen Science going on across the Network.  Some
> quick highlights:
>
>    - HBR launching new Sugar Maple Regeneration project with 16 volunteers
>    - HBR, CAP, VCR, and FCE will have Zoom call this summer to connect
>    RETs/REUs participating in LTeaER
>    - SEV grad student used water level data to create a scarves
>    - Next meeting in July--Elena will send a Doodle

Marty Downs (she/her/hers)
Deputy Director, LTER Network Communications Office

​
https://lternet.edu

downs at nceas.ucsb.edu