[LTER-education] Word from Luquillo

Marty Downs downs at nceas.ucsb.edu
Thu Sep 28 09:52:40 PDT 2017

Hi all,

Word is starting to trickle in from some of the Luquillo co-PIs, though
communication on the island is still very limited, with only intermittent
text messages getting through. Most of the Puerto Rico-based team have been
contacted and are OK.

I've linked a few articles below, from journalists who are getting to the
island as well as a picture of the building that used to house the site's
servers from Steven McGee.

https://earther.com/americas-only-tropical-rainforest-was-de
vastated-by-hur-1818827517
https://www.bna.com/debtridden-mariamenaced-puerto-n73014470164/

I know that many are concerned and asking how they can help, so am also
sharing a message from Bob Waide about a grass-roots campaign to get
reliable food and water to hospitals and nursing homes. Basic human needs
are the first priority for now. I will send an update from the team when we
have more word about what else could help.

Our thoughts are with friends and colleagues facing the complete
devastation following Maria,
Marty

Dear Friends
I know many of us have been frustrated in trying to find ways to help  the
people of Puerto Rico. Distribution of food is spotty at best and doesn't
seem to be improving very quickly. My daughters have taken matters into
their own hands by establishing a Go Fund Me campaign to provide meals to
those most in need. Working with friends on the island, they are organizing
preparation and delivery of hot meals directly to hospitals and nursing
homes, where people are most at risk. So if you feel inclined, please visit
the web page and make a donation.
Thanks,
Bob

*******************

Good morning family and friends!

I apologize for the mass email, but we need your help urgently! As you
may have seen in the news, the damage to the island of Puerto Rico
from the result of the direct hit of Hurricane Maria is catastrophic.
The Governor has called the situation "apocalyptic."  100% of the
island has been affected. There is a complete electricity blackout and
most of the island is without water.  Thousands of houses have been
lost because of flooding and the Governor has projected it will take
at least 6 months to get electricity back to the whole island.

My uncle - the Chief doctor at one of the biggest hospitals in PR -
asked for our help because they don't have a power plant working,
therefore they are unable to perform vital surgeries, support patients
with dialysis and perform many more critical medical procedures.  It
is also heart wrenching to hear that this hospital (and others) have
no food or water available for their patients or staff. People are
already sick and gravely suffering and now they can't even eat or
drink water.

Along with my sisters and other family members and friends on the
island, We have created the "Mano a Mano" fund to help provide food
and water to hospitals, elderly centers and others in need - people
who can't have access to food and water because they can't drive, are
too sick or don't have gas, etc...

http://www.gofundme.com/handtohandforpuertorico

Yesterday, with the generous help of Chef Jose Andrés and Chef Jose
Enrique, we were able to provide meals for over 400 patients  at the
Hospital de Carolina and Hospital Centro Médico. We have access to
transportation with gas and we will be able to continue to provide
food to these hospitals on a daily basis with your help!

There is a lot already happening on the island, but we cannot let more
innocent people die from simple lack of  food or water. We can and we
will help, knowing that every dollar counts!

Please feel free to contact me directly if you have questions or need
more information.

With Love and hope... Thank you so much!

Daya

http://www.gofundme.com/handtohandforpuertorico

​

--