[LTER-education] Working with Data for Educators grades 6-9

Janice McDonnell mcdonnel at marine.rutgers.edu
Thu May 25 07:51:07 PDT 2017

Hello LTER colleagues - We wanted to reach out with an opportunity that just came up that we think some of you may be interested in knowing about. We are running a project called the Polar-ICE Sci-I Project<http://polar-ice.org/educator-resources/sci-i-workshops/>. The project is for educators who teach grade 6-9 students and focuses on using real data in the classroom.

Last year we successfully worked with educators from NJ and CA on the project and this year we are adding Missouri and Ohio schools.  We just learned that there are a few more spots available in our workshop this summer June 25-29, 2017 in Columbus, OH (we know late notice :)).

In the workshop, we aim to provide experience, confidence, resources and access to scientists to use real science in their classrooms.   Students are excited about the experience of corresponding with polar scientists and then are guided to develop the skill of framing and investigating a science question. Some of the students will be selected to present their work at a symposium with scientists (which will be held in spring of 2018).

Educators who participate will receive a stipend and will have their travel and accommodations paid for by the project. There are no specific lessons that need to be taught but just the open-ended investigation for students to complete.  The content meshes well with life, environmental, earth and physical sciences.

The link and flyer will give more information http://polar-ice.org/2016/12/polar-ice-sci-i-project-2017/ (ignore the application deadline)

Please let me know if you (a) know of an educator you would recommend or (b) would like to participate as an LTER educator and experience/discuss our model for the workshop.

Please let me know by Wednesday, May 31, 2017 if this is of interest and we can discuss the details.

I look forward to hearing from you!
Janice

Janice McDonnell
Science Agent, Department of Youth Development
Rutgers University
71 Dudley Road
New Brunswick, NJ 08901
P: (848) 932 3285