[LTER-diversity] Reminder: Diversity Committee Meeting Tuesday, August 18

Johnston, Cora Ann (caj2dr) caj2dr at virginia.edu
Fri Aug 21 08:56:39 PDT 2020

Hi Diversity Committee reps,
I have a question for those of you whose sites are renewing, revising, or drafting diversity plans this summer:
How much of a change are you making to your plans? Are you retaining structure and content from your original (if you had one)?
Are your new plans looking more like a list of specific action items to be completed in a designated timeline, or do they focus on sweeping measures that will look a little different at any time (i.e. implemented in different ways)?

We are going through a revamp process at VCR, and we're struggling with whether to throw out our original plan (which honestly reads like a list of good intentions) in favor of a strategic plan or action list of SMART goals. We've also considered keeping the "good intentions plan" and supplementing it with "handbook" of specific practices and resources + implementation of a leadership structure.

I'd appreciate any input that you can provide on how your site is approaching diversity plans. Members of our committee are struggling with the fact that most published plans currently look like good intentions list, though recent calls have been to move away from that style of document.

Thanks for your help,
Cora

Cora A. Johnston, PhD
Site Director

She/her

E coraj at virginia.edu
P 757.620.7016

University of Virginia
Virginia Coast Reserve LTER
Anheuser-Busch Coastal Research Center
6364 Cliffs Road
Cape Charles, VA 23310

ABCRC: https://www.abcrc.virginia.edu/siteman2/<https://www.abcrc.virginia.edu/siteman2/><https://www.abcrc.virginia.edu/siteman2/>

LTER: www.vcrlter.virginia.edu/home2/<https://www.vcrlter.virginia.edu/home2/>

"Science is the process that takes us from confusion to understanding in a manner that's precise, predictive and reliable - a transformation, for those lucky enough to experience it, that is empowering and emotional.  We must embark on a cultural shift that places science in its rightful place...as an indispensable part of what makes life worth living."   -B. Greene

[University of Virginia]<http://www.virginia.edu/>

[Twitter]<https://twitter.com/WildCora>