[LTER-diversity] REMINDER: Diversity Committee Meeting Tuesday April 21

Marty Downs downs at nceas.ucsb.edu
Fri Apr 17 17:11:53 PDT 2020

Dear LTER Diversity Committee,
We meet again next Tuesday, April 21 at noon Pacific time. I've assembled
the ideas for committee activities into 5 categories on our Trello board,
here:
https://trello.com/invite/b/eywetYEs/a9a7382942a5e88cde158cff20073315/lter-diversity-inclusion-committee

Please let me know if you can't access the board, as it has links to all
the other resources.

Please try to review them, add any I didn't capture (or that have come to
you since our last meeting), and edit or comment on any you think are
poorly represented. If there is something you would be interested in
working on, please add your name to the card, by choosing the card and
clicking on "members" (under "add to card") and choosing your own avatar.
Do not add other individuals to cards without their permission.

Our goals for this meeting are to:
1) Identify the projects that are likely to have the greatest return on
investment *and* for which there are champions and energy. The LNO can do a
lot to keep a project on track and moving forward, but our credibility
comes from being network-driven.
2) Designate some leadership positions:

*Executive Board Representative*
The LTER Science Council (PIs, plus representative committee reps) is
meeting May 4 and is very interested in having a discussion on
diversity, equity, and inclusion. We need to identify a DEI rep to
participate in that meeting and future EB meetings (monthly).

*Co-chairs or leadership team*

This is a very large committee, which can get a lot done if the work is
distributed efficiently -- but that also requires coordination of the
whole. Other representative committees have either co-chairs (Education) or
a leadership team (IM Exec) who are empowered to make short-turnaround
decisions, recommend spending choices, and provide some accountability for
project teams. Think you might be interested in one of these roles? Reach
out to me to discuss.

Thanks,
Marty

--