[LTER-diversity] INCLUDES update

Marty Downs downs at nceas.ucsb.edu
Tue Sep 13 09:54:42 MDT 2016

Hi Diversity and Education folks--

The list of INCLUDES awardees is out...

https://www.nsf.gov/news/news_summ.jsp?cntn_id=189706&org=NSF&from=news

..and somewhat informative. There is much more emphasis on communities
based in geography, age, or identity than on disciplinary communities. The
most LTER-relevant awardees are probably:

*Collaborative Proposal: Coastal Almanac*

   - University of Washington
   <https://nsf.gov/awardsearch/showAward?AWD_ID=1649210>, Julia K. Parrish
   - Western Washington University
   <https://nsf.gov/awardsearch/showAward?AWD_ID=1649164>, Marco B. Hatch
   - Oregon State University
   <https://nsf.gov/awardsearch/showAward?AWD_ID=1649207>, Selina S. Heppell

and

*Engaging Local Communities in Geoscience Pathways*

   - Carleton College <https://nsf.gov/awardsearch/showAward?AWD_ID=1649367>,
   Cathryn A. Manduca

*Alliance to Strengthen the STEM Tapestry (ASSisT): Motivating Critical
Identity Shifts to Weave the STEM Disenfranchised into Science and the
Sustainability Workforce*

   - University of Utah
   <https://nsf.gov/awardsearch/showAward?AWD_ID=1649161>, Nalini
Nadkarni (current
   VP for Diversity and Education for the ESA)

The group that we were most involved with (National Council on Science and
the Environment) was not successful in this round, but did pull a large
group of collaborators together, who seem interested in pursuing a pilot
proposal next year.

I would encourage everyone to keep an eye out for opportunities to
collaborate with these selected programs and capitalize on resources they
develop, while also exploring the potential to partner on a new proposal.

We've already had some interaction with Cathy Manduca at SERC and will  be
interested to see what the options are for expanding that connection.

Cheers,
Marty

---
Marty Downs
Communications Lead
LTER Network Communications Office (LTER NCO)

downs at nceas.ucsb.edu